How does absentee voting work?
Absentee voting was created so that individuals not able to cast their vote on Election Day could vote via mail. This still applies, but since 1999 Montanans can vote absentee without listing a reason why, which allows voters the opportunity to take their time to mark their ballot.
- First, you must apply for absentee status with the Missoula County Elections Office. Complete an Application for Absentee Ballot, or, if you live at multiple addresses, please complete an Application for Absentee List - Seasonal to have ballots for which you are eligible automatically mailed to the address indicated on your application.
- A physical signature is required on the absentee application. Our office cannot accept typed print in place of a signature. If sending the application electronically: complete & print the online application, sign, scan, and email as a PDF.
- The application may be mailed:
Missoula County Courthouse
Office of Elections
200 West Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802
The application may be dropped off:
Missoula County Elections Office
140 N Russell Street
- An absentee voting packet will be mailed to the address you indicated on your application, or you can pick up the packet at the Missoula County Election Office at the time you apply for the absentee ballot, if ballots are available at that time.
- Applications must be received by the Missoula County Election Office by noon the day before the election. If you drop off the application, you will be able to pick up the absentee ballot at the same time, once ballots are available.
- After voting the absentee ballot, return in the envelope(s) provided. READ INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED WITH THE PACKET CAREFULLY.
- Be sure to sign the affirmation on the return envelope before sending back or dropping off. Note: The person to whom the ballot was issued must be the person signing the return envelope.
- If you are dropping off other ballots besides your own, you will need to fill out a Ballot Collection Information form to be dropped off with your ballot.