Candidate Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Candidate Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can I file my paperwork by fax or email? A: You can file electronically with us, however, our office needs the original paperwork within three days of filing. In order to record the document and make it permanent record within the County, an original document is required to record.
Q: Am I required to live in the district that I am filing for office? If you are filing for a local position such as commissioner, judge, school trustee, fire district, community council, city council person, among others, requirements may vary. Please call our office 258-4751 to find out if you must reside within a particular district or not to file for office.
Q:Am I still required to collect voter signatures as part of my candidate paperwork? A:The 2015 legislature ended the requirement for candidates to collect signatures for ANY election. 
Q:If filing fees are required, is payment due at the time of filing? A: Yes. In order to accept your filing forms, fees must be paid for at the time of filing. If an individual is unable to pay the associated fees, please see the indigent candidate process.
Q: Does your office require financial forms when filing? A: The Commissioner of Political Practices regulates campaign finance for candidates. Any forms or paperwork must be requested and submitted to the CPP. The local elections office is removed from the process and will not accept any CPP paperwork starting Jan. 2016.