Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Address assignment is done in accordance with the Missoula County Public Works regulations and the Missoula County 9‑1‑1 Center requirements.

If you need an address and live outside the Missoula city limits, please contact the Public Works Department  to begin the application process.  

If you live within the Missoula city limits, please contact the City of Missoula GIS Services.

Issuing of addresses does not guarantee legal access to the subject property.  Securing legal access is the responsibility of the property owner.

What do I do with my new address?

There are a few common changes with your new address, especially if the residence is an established home and not new construction. Once the numbers and the road sign(s) are in place, the transition should go smoothly if you follow these guidelines:

  • Submit a Change of Address Form online with the United States Postal Service (USPS) or visit your post office to obtain a paper Change of Address form.
    • The USPS will forward mail to you for 12 months. For six months thereafter, the USPS will return mail to sender with your new address noted.
    • If you are now on a newly named road easement, the USPS needs to build this new address/road into the USPS database. Verify with the USPS that this new road and address exist in the database before submitting a change of address.
  • If you are on a newly named private road, the Public Works Sign Shop will place the first sign at no charge. Any subsequent signs will be purchased by the residents of the road. Please contact Missoula County Public Works for more information.
  • If you have a land line telephone at the residence, contact your telephone provider and give them your new address. If you were to call 9-1-1 and were unable to speak, your address will automatically be displayed for the dispatcher. The 9-1-1 Center holds both addresses for one year and then the older address is dropped from their system.
  • If you use a mobile phone(s), register your mobile number(s) and your new physical address with Smart911.
  • Contact your local fire station and let them know your new address. They may be able to help with posting a reflective address number that would be be discernible in low visibility conditions.
  • Contact your utility providers and let them know your new physical address.
  • Provide your new address to your mortgage/insurance companies.
  • When paying your property taxes, make note of your new physical address for the Montana Department of Revenue.