Protect your family by signing up to receive Smart911 Emergency Alerts and create your family’s Safety Profile.

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q: How are we different than Missoula County Public Schools?

A: Missoula County Public Schools is a public school district. Our office is a county government office of an elected official.


Q: Who has authority over the school districts?

A: The Board of Trustees of each district sets policies. The Montana State Office of Public Instruction approves a school's accreditation status.


Q: How many school districts are in Missoula County?

A: Thirteen.   See our list of School Administrators.


Q: How many students are enrolled in Missoula County school districts?

A: For the 2015 academic year, we have a total enrollment of 13,648 students. 


Q:  Sunset School, in school year 2011-12, had only one child enrolled and the school stayed open.  Why would a school stay open with only one student attending?

A. Example:  If Sunset School closed, the district would be absorbed by either Potomac or Seeley Lake and taxpayers would be paying significantly more than what they pay now per $100,000 of residential property. See the matrix below:


                  Mills (FY11/12)          $ tax/$100,000 value             Relative difference
Sunset         51.47                          $81.48

Potomac      130.04                        $205.86                            130.04/51.47=2.53 or 253%
Seeley         112.04                        $177.36                            112.04/51.47=2.18 or 218%


Q: How can your child attend a different school district?

A: Call the district of choice and ask if they take out-of-district students. If the answer is yes, be aware that there may be a tuition charge.


Q: What's the difference between school districts and attendance areas?

A: Attendance areas are boundaries located inside a large school district; e.g. MCPS, District 1


Q: How can I find out what school district my children will attend?

A: Call our office at (406) 258-4860.  

If you think you may reside within the boundaries of MCPS District #1, search by Home Address using the Attendance Locator, click here.

Search using County's Property Information System, click here.


Q: Why doesn't the bus come to my house?

A: By law a school district is only obligated to transport students who live three or more miles from the school.


Q: What are some links to other areas of education in Montana?

A: Here are some websites that may be of some importance to anyone interested in education in Montana.