Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Can the County Attorney's Office give me legal advice? 

No, the County Attorney’s Office is responsible for prosecuting crimes and representing the interests of the County as a whole and cannot offer legal advice or opinions to citizens.    **See Legal Resources below**

What should I do if I am concerned about the welfare of a child? 

Call 1 (866) 820-5437.  The call is free.  Don’t wait until you are sure a child is being abused, your concerns are enough.  Your call may make the difference in a child’s life.

I am being mistreated at home but I don’t want to press charges against my partner.  What should I do?

You are encourage to call 911.  If you aren’t ready to do that, a confidential alternative is to contact the YWCA.  

Online: http://ywcaofmissoula.org/

By phone: (406) 543-6691 (office), (406) 542-1944 (crisis line) or (800) 483-7858 (crisis line)

By email: ywca@ywcaofmissoula.org

Physical address: 1130 W. Broadway, Missoula, MT 59802

You may also contact the Crime Victims Advocate (CVA) at (406) 258-3830.

How do I file a criminal charge against someone?

The process begins with law enforcement.  If the situation is urgent, call 911.  If the incident happened within city limits, contact the Missoula Police Department at (406) 523-4777.  If the incident happened in Missoula County, call the Sheriff’s Department at (406) 258-4810.  Once the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction conducts an investigation, they will refer a case to our office for review and charging.   

If someone I know has been arrested, when will they be seen by a Judge?

Contact Justice Court at (406) 258-3470 and ask when prisoners will be seen by the Judge. You can also check the jail roster

I have information on a case, where should I take it?

Contact the law enforcement agency handling the case.


Bad/NSF Checks

 What do I do if someone gave me a bad check?

Follow the instructions on our bad check policy webpage or contact our office at (406) 258-4737 and ask for the bad check department.


Contact Information

Where do I go regarding a lien?

 Missoula County Clerk and Recorder's Office

What is the address and phone number to the Public Defenders Office?

Located: 610 Woody St., Missoula, MT 59802          Phone: (406) 523-5140

What is the phone number to the City Attorney's Office?

(406) 552-6020 

What is the phone number to the Better Business Bureau?

Montana Consumer Protection Office: (406) 444-4500 or visit their website at  https://dojmt.gov/consumer/

What is the Attorney General's contact information?

(406) 444-2026 or visit their webpage at https://dojmt.gov/

What is the local number for the Montana State Bar Association?

  (406) 442-7660

What is the contact information for Adult Probation & Parole?

Located: 1801 Stephens Ave., Missoula, MT 59801          Phone: (406) 542-7120


What is the contact information for Youth Court?

 Located: 311 Woody St., Missoula, MT 59802        Phone: (406) 258-4735

When a Juvenile is taken into custody, when will they be seen by a Judge?

They will have a Detention Hearing in District Court either the same day or the following business day. 

Who do I contact to get information on a Juvenile case?

You can call Youth Court at (406) 258-4735 or you can view public records at the Clerk of District Court Office which is located in the Courthouse.


Legal Resources

 Where can I find the laws that govern the State of Montana?

Montana Code Annotated

Where can I get legal advice?

 Montana Legal Services Associates located: 1535 Liberty Lane, Suite 110D, Missoula, MT 59808        Phone: (406) 543-8343 or (800) 666-6899 or visit www.mtlsa.org

Montana Law Help

Lawyer Referral and Information Service:  Phone: (406) 449-6577 or Montana Bar.org - Self Help

Where can I get forms for District Court?

 Missoula Self Help Center or by phone (406) 258-3428. Generic forms are also available on montanalawhelp.org or courts.mt.gov.  

Where can I get forms for Justice Court? 

Justice Court - Civil Division


Order of Protection

How do I apply for an Order of Protection?

Call the Crime Victim Advocate (CVA) at (406) 258-3830. They will get you the paperwork for the appropriate court and help answer any questions you may have.



Where can I get information for landlord/tenant issues?

Missoula County Justice Court or by phone (406) 258-3470
http://courts.mt.gov/library/topic/landlord - Generic sample forms
Montana Department of Justice
ASUM Renter Center