Applicants may apply online without an in-person visit to the clerk's office or may schedule an appointment.
Online (Without an in-person visit)
- Applicants must use the online marriage application system to complete the application.
- Print and have both applicants sign the application.
- Email the signed application, along with a copy of each applicant's ID, to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (406) 258-4899. Please include a phone number where you can be reached.
- Office staff will contact applicants at the number provided to administer the notary oath, collect the $55 marriage license fee, payable by Visa or MC, and mail the marriage license to the applicant's address.
- Call (406) 258-4780 to schedule an appointment.
- Applicants must use the online marriage application system to complete the application prior to the appointment.
- Proof of age, such as a driver's license or passport, is required.
- Upon arrival at the courthouse, wait in your vehicle until called to limit congestion.
- Maintain physical distancing of 6 feet in the customer service area. Tape markings on the floor provide accurate 6 feet distances.
- A mask or face covering is required for customers age five and older. Disposable masks are available upon request.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for customers.
- Staff will wipe down counters, pens, glass barriers and other items between customers.
- The cost for issuing a marriage license is $53, payable by cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard.
- If paying by credit or debit card 1.995% plus a $1.25 processing fee will be added to your transaction.
- Personal checks not accepted.
- Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, the credit card processing fees are waived.
Under Age 18
- If one or both of the parties are not 18 years of age, there are special requirements.
Information Needed for Application
- Date of Birth of both applicants
- City, county and state/foreign country of birth of both applicants
- Father's first, middle and last name
- Father's current city and state of residence
- Father's state/foreign country of birth
- Mother's first, middle and maiden name
- Mother's current city and state of residence
- Mother's state/foreign country of birth
- If either party was previously married, the dates of previous divorce/dissolution or spousal death along with the county/state of the occurrence.
NOTE: A marriage license is valid for 180 days, may be obtained in any county in Montana but is valid only in Montana.