Flood Insurance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Flood Coverage Facts

  • Standard property insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
  • A structure in a flood hazard area has a 26 percent chance of flood damage during a 30-year mortgage, as compared to a 10 chance of fire.
  • The entire building can be lost with a single flood.
  • Flood Insurance Call Center Fact Sheet

National Flood Insurance Program

Missoula County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes federally backed flood insurance available for all eligible buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks and local drainage problems.

Coverage Types

The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage - building and contents. Building coverage is for the walls, floors, insulation, furnace, and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchased separately, if the contents are in an insurable building. 

Community Rating System

The Community Rating System (CRS) is a voluntary program administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). CRS provides lower insurance premiums under the NFIP due to advanced local floodplain management activities. Missoula County currently maintains a CRS Class 7rating which automatically reduces flood insurance premiums by 15 percent.

Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) Coverage

If a flood damages your property, you may be required by law to bring your home or building up to floodplain management standards. If you have NFIP insurance and the County has declared the building to be substantially damaged, NFIP may provide up to $30,000 of the cost to elevate, flood proof, demolish, or relocate your property in order to comply with floodplain standards. ICC coverage is in addition to the coverage you receive to repair flood damages. However, the total payout on a policy may not exceed $250,000 for residential buildings and $500,000 for nonresidential buildings. Claims for ICC coverage should be initiated through your insurer.


We maintain a list of local FEMA flood insurance providers in Missoula County.