Landowners and residents throughout Missoula County take stewardship of land and water seriously. Many embark on projects and practices that make a difference. We aim to celebrate these exemplary stewards in our annual Land Stewardship Award program. This program is a part of the Open Lands Citizen Advisory Committee's efforts.
Do you know a friend or neighbor who’s doing work to restore, protect, or enhance land, water, and other natural resources? Consider nominating them for the 2021 Land Stewardship Award! Tune in here in spring 2021 for the application.
2020 Land Stewardship Award Recipients
The Missoula County Commissioners are pleased to announce that Becky and Denny Anderson are the recipients of the 2020 Land Stewardship Award. They received their award at a ceremony in September at their Spooner Creek ranch in Miller Creek.
This year’s award honors the Andersons as they have been dedicated to conservation and stewardship for decades. Becky and Denny conserved their property into the future with a conservation easement on 207 acres and they are actively at work with partners to restore Miller and Spooner Creeks on their property. They are happy to engage others in their dedicated conservation ethic.
Click here to see a list of previous recipients of the Land Stewardship Award.
Learn about the Land Stewardship Awardees and their Stewardship Practices
Click on the interactive map below (it will open in a new page), which contains stories of each awardee as well as specific tools and techniques they used.
CLICK ON ME or the picture BELOW!
Some Resources Available to Land Stewards
In many ways the land stewardship awardees' success was built on assistance from local organizations for financial and technical support -- see the list below to learn more about how these organizations may be able to help you as well!
- The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation
- Missoula County Weed District
- Trout Unlimited
- Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
- The University of Montana
- The Blackfoot Challenge
- Montana Tree Farmer Program
- Montana State University Cooperative Forest Stewardship Program
- Missoula County Conservation District
- Stewardship Incentive Program
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Swan Valley Connections
- The Vital Ground Foundation
- Montana Land Reliance
- Various state and county landowner training including Master Gardener and Invasive Plant Management classes.
- University of Montana’s Lubrecht Experimental Forest
- Clark Fork Coalition