The Bonner Milltown Community Council invites you to participate in a community visioning process!
"If you don't know where you are going,
you'll wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra
Over the course of this summer, the Bonner Milltown Community Council and the Missoula County Community and Planning Services will be working on drafting a vision statement for the community. This project will follow a community-based planning approach, meaning the public’s input will drive the outcomes. This website contains information on what a vision statement is, what it could be used for, how it will be created and most importantly, how you can participate.
How to participate?
The Bonner/Milltown Community Council and CAPS held two public workshops on Thursday June 1st. The results of the workshops will be posted in entirety in the coming weeks.
If you missed the workshops, you can still provide input by taking this short questionnaire online. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BonnerVision
If you don’t really do computers, answer these questions and mail them to the address below:
- What do you love about Bonner/Milltown?
- What are the top three reasons you live in Bonner/Milltown?
- Imagining Bonner/Milltown at its best, what will it look like in 20 years?
- What values do you think people in Bonner/Milltown share with the rest of Missoula, and what values do you think people in Bonner/Milltown have that are different from the rest of Missoula.
- Name three things in Bonner/Milltown you would like to see improve.
- Name three things you see as Bonner/Milltown’s greatest assets.
Mail your responses to:
Missoula County Community and Planning Services
200 W. Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802
What is a community vision statement?
A vision statement is a description of what community members want their community to look like in the future. It should capture what they value, and describe what they want their community to become.
What does a community use a vision statement for?
A vision is a forward-looking statement that aids in setting goals, strategies and guiding decision-making. In Bonner/Milltown, a community vision could help:
- The Community Council with setting goals, establishing priorities and address issues in the community;
- Developers understand what types of development the community wants;
- County Planners guide development through long range plans; or
- The Missoula County Commissioner’s set priorities related to the community.
Who will create the vision statement?
Visioning is a community driven process, your input and participation is critical to its development. The Bonner/Milltown Community Council is working with Missoula County Community and Planning Services (CAPS) to engage the community, and through this engagement, the community will create the vision statement.
What should a vision statement say?
A vision statement does more than describe the preferred future:
- It should reflect core community values,
- It should recognize emerging trends and issues, and
- It should inspire local action.
Process and Timeline
The process to create the vision statement will begin with a community workshop on June 1st, and an online community questionnaire advertised by post card sent to residents in late May. Once input has been collected, the Community Council and CAPS will work to draft language which they will present to the public for feedback in late summer. All meetings will be open to the public and noticed on this website, along with drafts and other information.
The planning area for the visioning process will be the Bonner/Milltown Community Council boundaries. Click here to see the Council boundaries.