The East Missoula Community Council invites you to participate in a community visioning process!
"If you don't know where you are going,
you'll wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra
The East Missoula Community Council is in the process of drafting a Vision Statement for the community.
The draft vision statement is now available for public review and comment!
To view the draft, click here
HOW TO COMMENT ON THE DRAFT
- Review the draft, and email comments to:
- Review the draft, and mail comments to:
East Missoula Visioning
Missoula County Community and Planning Services
200 W. Broadway
Missoula, MT 59802
- Review the draft, and attend the October 10th Community Council meeting
All comments must be received by October 10th by 5pm MST
On June 7th, the East Missoula Community Council and the Missoula County Community and Planning Services held a visioning workshop with members of the community. The workshops, coupled with responses from an online questionnaire, provide the foundation for a draft vision statement.
The draft vision statement was presented to Community Council on Tuesday, September 12th at the Community Council's regular meeting. At this meeting, the Community Council established the follow process for public input and adoption.
- Include mention of the draft vision in a post card distributed for the temporary demonstration project
- Have a poster of the draft vision and comment cards at the October 7th event on Highway 200
- Hear any oral comments on the October 10th Community Council meeting
- Review any written comment received
- Consider the final draft Vision Statement for adoption at the November 14th Community Council meeting.
What is a community vision statement?
This project is following a community-based planning approach, meaning the public’s input will drive the outcomes. A vision statement is a description of what community members want their community to look like in the future. It should capture what they value, and describe what they want their community to become.
What does a community use a vision statement for?
A vision is a forward-looking statement that aids in setting goals, strategies and guiding decision-making. In East Missoula, a community vision could help:
- The Community Council with setting goals, establishing priorities and address issues in the community;
- Developers understand what types of development the community wants;
- County Planners guide development through long range plans; or
- The Missoula County Commissioner’s setting priorities related to the community.
What should a vision statement say?
A vision statement does more than describe the preferred future:
- It should reflect core community values,
- It should recognize emerging trends and issues, and
- It should inspire local action.
The planning area for the visioning process will be the East Missoula Community Council boundaries. Click here to see the Council boundaries.