Missoula County Community & Planning Services (CAPS) routinely proposes amendments as part of ongoing maintenance of the Missoula County Subdivision Regulations.
In the Fall of 2019, CAPS proposes amendments to the following chapters of the subdivision regulations:
- Chapter 2 Definitions
- Chapter 3 General Design Standards for all Subdivisions, and Appendix A
- Chapter 5 Procedures for Subdivision Review, Preliminary Plat, Variances, and Appeals
- Chapter 6 Final Plat and Subdivision Improvement Guarantees
- Chapter 7 General Submittal Requirements
The main amendments focus on two topics. The first, aligns the urban/rural distinction in Chapter 3 with land use designations from the Missoula Area Land Use Element, adopted in June of 2019. The second incorporates into Chapters 5 and 6 the changes to phased developments from state law. Additional revisions in other chapters include general updates and copy edits.
Proposed amendments include the following:
URBAN AND RURAL STANDARDS (Beginning in Section 3.4.2)
- Changes how the urban and rural areas are determined.
- Eliminates annual Commissioner review of the boundaries.
- Applies the urban standard exception to residential subdivisions only.
- Requires curb, gutter, and boulevard in all urban area subdivision, not just major small lot subdivisions.
- Determines standards for non-motorized facilities by land use designation.
- Introduces an off-road trail alternative for major subdivisions in the rural area.
- Updates Appendix A to reflect changes to urban area boundaries.
PHASED DEVELOPMENTS (CHAPTERS 5 AND 6)
- Chapter 5
- Incorporates updates to state statute related to phased developments, enacted on May 8, 2017
- Delineates separate processes for extension requests and modification requests in subdivisions approved prior to May 8, 2017 and those approved on or after that date.
- Reorganizes some sections of the regulations for improved clarity.
- Chapter 6
- Requires remaining tracts of phased subdivision that are less than 160 acres to be included in final plat surveys.
- Clarifies the process for recording final plats.
- Requires a hearing process prior to filing each phase of a phased subdivision.
- In Section 2.2.71, a definition is added for “Phase Development”.
- In Section 3.1.3, “High groundwater” and “Other hazards as identified” are added to the list of hazards and defined.
- In Section 7.6.10 Hazardous Land Assessment, a high groundwater hazard assessment is added.
- Copy edits throughout.
Any comments you might have on these changes are valued and appreciated and are requested by Friday, November 15, 2019. Comments will be forwarded to the Missoula Consolidated Planning Board for their consideration at a hearing scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 19, 2019. The hearing will be in Missoula City Council Chambers, located at 140 W. Pine Street.
The Missoula County Commissioners will consider proposed changes at their regularly-scheduled hearing at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 12, 2019. The hearing will be held in the Sophie Moiese Room of the Courthouse Annex, located at 200 W. Broadway, Missoula.
Please direct your comments to Christine Dascenzo at email@example.com. Written comments can be mailed to CAPS, 200 W. Broadway, Missoula, MT, 59802.