Show/Hide

With an active wildfire season upon us, you can protect your family by signing up to receive Smart911 Emergency Alerts and create your family’s Safety Profile.

WHAT IS HAZARDOUS?

A Hazardous product is labeled at least one of the following:

  • Toxic - Poisonous or causes long-term illness.
  • Flammable - Burns easily
  • Corrosive - Eats through material (acid)
  • Reactive - Can explode (when exposed to heat, air, water or shock)

WARNING LABELS

Danger or Poison refers to a product that is highly toxic. Danger may also mean extremely flammable or corrosive.

Warning or Caution refer to a less hazardous product.

If the label does not contain any of these words then the product is not considered hazardous.

EXAMPLES OF LABELS:

  • “Harmful or fatal if swallowed” (product is poisonous)
  • “Keep out of reach of children” (product is toxic or has other hazards)
  • “Use only in a well-ventilated area” (product fumes are toxic)
  • “Do not use near heat or flame” (product is flammable or may change properties)
  • “Causes severe burns on contact” (product is corrosive)

List of Alternative Household Products

Disposing of Hazardous Material:

Use up what you have, give it to someone who needs it, or recycle it. If none of these options work for you, the Missoula Valley Water Quality District offers a household hazardous waste collection event (Haz Waste Days).  Many of these unwanted hazardous and toxic materials are accepted at this event free of charge to Missoula County residents.  You can also check out our year-round disposal guide for other disposal options.