Plan Review

Hotel, Motel, Roominghouse A facility that provides sleeping accommodations and housekeeping services with or without meals.
Bed and Breakfast An owner/manager occupied facility that provides sleeping accommodations for less than 18 people and provides breakfast as a part of the room fee.
Tourist Home A home rented in its entirety with housekeeping services provided.


Submit plans at least 30 days prior to making changes in an existing facility, constructing a new facility, or changing use on an existing building. After the plans are approved and work is complete, contact our office for a licensing inspection. At that time, state license fees are due.


All public accommodations get inspected once annually with the exception of tourist homes. Inspection reports are public record and may be viewed at our office. Online inspection reports will be coming soon.

Resources for Operators

Food Service

Public accommodations that offer food must follow the state food regulations. If food is served to the general public in addition to hotel guests, a state license is required in addition to a public accommodation license. For information on food service requirements, please visit our retail food service page.

Food safety training is available at the health department and general food safety information can be found on our website.

Water and Wastewater Information

Small facilities and tourist homes may be on private water and wastewater systems.

Private Water System
  • Must be reviewed to Food and Consumer Safety Circular 1 and approved;
  • Must test for coliform twice each year: once between April and June and once between September and October; and,
  • Must test for nitrate every three years.

Our department's water lab can test for coliform bacteria. For other water testing needs contact Montana Environmental Labs.

Private Wastewater System

Wastewater systems must be evaluated for the proposed use. 

For information on water systems and wastewater.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer