Missoula City-County Public Health Department Logo

Water Quality Ordinance Permitting

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Missoula Valley Water Quality District

The Missoula Water Quality Ordinance established a permit program for facilities that handle regulated substances in quantities that may pose a threat to water quality within the Missoula Valley.   The purpose of this program is to provide oversight, inspection and tracking of facilities that maintain significant quantities of hazardous materials within the Water Quality District Ordinance Boundary.  This boundary extends five miles beyond the Missoula City limits.  Facilities are required to prevent releases of hazardous substances and protect water quality.

According to municipal code, facilities which have larger quantities of certain regulated materials, must take measures to prevent releases of these substances to the environment.  Often these materials are petroleum products such as oil and gasoline, but there are additional chemicals which are specified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) . Facilities such as automotive shops, gas stations, chemical manufacturers and golf courses within five miles of the city of Missoula must obtain a Water Quality Ordinance Permit.  Through oversight, inspection and tracking our community can ensure that facilities are handling, storing and disposing of chemicals in such a way that minimizes risks to our sole source of drinking water; the Missoula Aquifer.

For more information about this ordinance you can download the Application Package here. Once submitted, paid and inspected, renewals are due every two years by the end of June.  

 If you have questions, please give us a call at (406) 258-4890 or by email.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer