Due to the EXTREME Fire Danger within Missoula County, the Missoula County Board of Commissioners signed an Emergency Proclamation imposing Stage II Fire Restrictions to be effective 12:01 A.M. on August 10, 2018. The restrictions imposed by the Resolution include the following:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
3. The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.:
a. Operating any internal combustion engine off designated roads.
b. Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
c. Using an explosive
A one hour foot patrol is required following the cessation of these activities.
4. Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails, except for persons engaged in official business including the functions of governmental agencies and the activities of utilities, cooperatives, and telecommunications providers to operate, construct, repair, and maintain utility facilities that are essential to the public. Fire extinguishers and fire tools are required during such operations.
5. All Fireworks are prohibited
1. Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
2. Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the generator.
3. Operating motorized vehicles on designated roads and trails.
4. Emergency repair of public utilities and railroads.
5. Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
6. Any federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
7. Welding, use of acetylene, cutting torches with open flame, or other industrial activities that are conducted in an enclosed building.
8. Agricultural activity in non-forested areas and unrelated to forest harvest
9. Land within the City of Missoula is exempt from Stage II restrictions imposed by this resolution; the City of Missoula may impose specific restrictions to City owned lands.
Missoula County will remain in Stage II Fire Restrictions until the earlier of (1) rescission of this Resolution by the Missoula County Board of County Commissioners or (2) lifting of Stage II Restrictions by the State of Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation Southwest Land Office, which shall automatically and immediately lift Missoula County’s Stage II Restrictions.
Be aware that a violation of these restrictions is a misdemeanor offense and a person who purposely ignites a fire in violation of these restrictions shall reimburse the county governing body or recognized protection agency for costs incurred for any fire suppression activities resulting from the illegal fire and may be liable for other civil damages.