Due to the EXTREME Fire Danger within Missoula County, the Missoula County Board of Commissioners signed an Emergency Proclamation imposing Stage II Fire Restrictions to be effective 12:00 A.M. on July 27, 2017. The restrictions imposed by the Resolution include the following:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site orwhile stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- The following acts are prohibited form 1:00 P.M. to 1:00 A.M.:
- Operating any internal combustion engine
- Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
- Using an explosive.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails, except for persons engaged in a trade, business or occupation where it is required. Fire extinguishers and fire tools are required during such operations.
- All Fireworks are prohibited.
The aforementioned restrictions are subject to the following exemptions, which do not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by the exempted activity:
- Persons with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles on designated roads and trails.
- Emergency repair of public utilities and railroads.
- Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
- Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- Welding, use of acetylene, cutting torches with open flame, or other industrial activities that are conducted in an enclosed building.
- Agricultural activity in non-forested areas and unrelated to forest harvest
- Land within the City of Missoula is exempt from Stage II; the City of Missoula may impose specific restrictions to City owned lands.
Be aware that a violation of these restrictions is a misdemeanor offense and violators are subject to imposition of reimbursement for costs incurred for fire suppression activities resulting from prohibited activities.
In accordance with §7-5-104 MCA, a second reading of this ordinance is waived due to the emergency conditions existing in Missoula County and it shall become effective on passage and approval and remain in effect for no more than 90 days.