Getting Started with Building Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When are Building Permits required:*

       - Additions/Remodels                                                                   - Signs & Fences over 8' in height                     
       - Commercial building projects                                                   - Swimming Pools
       - Decks                                                                                              - Residential or commercial roofing
       - Most new residential construction projects                           - Residential storage buildings & garages over 200 sq. ft.
       - Structural Remodeling                                                                - Solar Projects

Required Documentation for submittal:

  • A complete, signed Building Permit Application; paper or online submittal
  • Land Use/ Zoning Compliance Permit Application; paper or online submittal
  • 1 hard copy set (11x17 minimum plan size) & 1 electronic set of Drawings/Plans including:
    • Site Plan*
    • Floor Plan: All Rooms and Dimensions labeled

                                                             Apply for a                    Permit Online                                  

    • Elevations: All Sides of Structures, Lowest Grade Level to Highest peak
    • Footing & Foundation Plan
    • Floor, Wall &  Roof Framing plan
    • Wall Section Detail
    • Engineered Truss Drawings, Truss package including layout
    • Possible Engineering if Required
    • Plan Review Fee, click here for Building Permit Fee Schedule
    • Approval of utility service from Development Services if connecting to City of Missoula water and sewer services.


Steps to Start your Project:

STEP 1. Do your research! Questions to ask while you’re researching your project: How is the property zoned? Do I need an address? Should I do the work or hire a contractor? Do I have an HOA with restrictions on what I can build? Am I in the floodplain? Do I need any other permits besides building? Click here for a list of commonly asked questions.

Contact Community & Planning Services (406-258-4642) for zoning or land use applicable regulations, the Health Department (406-258-4990) for applicable well/septic regulations, or the Building Department (406-258-3701) for building construction code questions. 

STEP 2.  Apply for a Building Permit at Missoula Co. Public Works or Online. Please See above Required Documentation for Submittal. 

STEP 3. Wait. Several departments will be reviewing your permit electronically and simultaneously.  This may include Floodplain, Air Quality, Fire, Well & Septic, etc. You may receive a call from a reviewer needing more information about your project.  The average issuance for the permit package is 10 business days. 

STEP 4. You will be contacted by a Permit Specialist once your permit is ready to be issued. The Building Permit fee must be paid upon pick up, then the inspection card and stamped drawings can be released. This is also the time to apply for any trade permits, i.e.: Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits. These permits have separate fees that are dependent on the scope of work. 

STEP 5. CONSTRUCT! Please call for the applicable inspections on your inspection card 24 hours ahead of time. 

*Please call 406-258-3701 to speak to a Permit Specialist or Inspector if you have any further questions about these steps.


How to Apply:

Apply ONLINE by clicking HERE and creating an online account. We still need one set of hard copy plans submitted to have onsite for building permits, submitted to our office.


Apply to our office in person with a completed paper application and the necessary required documentation for submittal.

                                                        WE WILL NOT ACCEPT INCOMPLETE SUBMITTAL APPLICATIONS

*This list does not contain all types of work requiring a permit. Please call our office at 406-258-3701 before starting any type of work to determine whether or not you need a permit.