Understanding the Permitting Process
- The following flow chart demonstrates the process a typical Building Permit will go through from application submittal to permit issuance. We review permits simultaneously with other County agencies, in order to be able to issue permits faster. Our average review time for a Building permit is two weeks. Permits will only go through the applicable agencies for review.
- Please contact the following departments before submitting a permit for questions, to help ensure a timely permitting issuance.
- Public Works - located at 6089 Training Drive in Missoula, Montana.
- Open Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call the office at (406) 258-3701.
The Building Division reviews construction plans to ensure they comply with current building codes adopted by the State of Montana. The Building Division also starts most Missoula County permits including building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, land use/zoning compliance, address/approach and excavation.
- Community And Planning Services (CAPS) - located at 323 W Alder Street in Missoula, Montana.
- Open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call their office at (406) 258-4642.
The Community and Planning Services division reviews zoning compliance permits for land issues, subdivision compliance, flood plain/shoreline, sign permits that do not require a building permit, and fire safety.
- Missoula City-County Health Department - located at 301 W Alder Street in Missoula, Montana.
- Open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Call their office at (406) 258-4990.
The Missoula City-County Health Department administers and reviews well and septic permits to ensure they comply with current MDEQ (Montana Department of Environmental Quality) adopted codes. They also regulate and license commercial kitchens.